“The heavens declare the glory of God; the firmament proclaims the works of his hands. Day unto day pours forth speech; night unto night whispers knowledge.” (Ps 19:1-3)
The St. Vincent de Paul Church Care & Justice for Creation Ministry, guided by scripture and the Catholic Tradition, seeks to listen to and answer the cry of Creation by engaging our community in nature-nourishing, sustainable practices and environmental advocacy. We work to foster our communal “ecological conversion” through prayer, practice, and learning.
“Living our vocation to be protectors of God’s handiwork is essential to a life of virtue; it is not an optional or a secondary aspect of our Christian experience.” (Pope Francis, Laudato Si’)
Some key values:
- All life is sacred and deserves its inherent dignity to be cultivated and respected.
- Per scripture, humanity has a special responsibility to care for Creation.
- Human flourishing is bound up in the flourishing of Creation.
- The Vincentian call to care for the poor requires a commitment to protect vulnerable ecosystems and the vulnerable human populations, disproportionately black and brown, who also depend on them.
“We have all been called by God to work on a masterpiece.” (St Vincent de Paul)
There are several ways to get involved with this ministry:
- Come to our meetings, held monthly on the 3rd Sunday at noon. Check out our meeting-minutes archive.
- Follow us on Instagram @Eco-Conversion_in_G-town.
- Email StVincentsGreenTeam@Gmail.com to be added to our email list to be kept up to date on upcoming events and tips.
- Fill out this Google Form, Social Media Posts Suggestions, to share your ideas and practices for being a steward of Creation.
Catholic Organizations and Movements
Prayers and Devotions
- Psalms 8:3-9, 19:1-3, 33:6-9, 136:4-9
- Care of Creation Rosary, Catholic Agency for Overseas Development
- Canticle of Creation, St. Francis of Assisi
Resources and Documents