“The heavens declare the glory of God; the firmament proclaims the works of his hands. Day unto day pours forth speech; night unto night whispers knowledge.” (Ps 19:1-3)
The St. Vincent de Paul Church Care for Creation Ministry, guided by the Catholic Tradition, seeks to listen to and answer the cry of Creation by engaging our community in just, nature-nourishing, and sustainable practices, and environmental advocacy. We work to foster our communal “ecological conversion” through prayer, practice, and learning.
“Living our vocation to be protectors of God’s handiwork is essential to a life of virtue; it is not an optional or a secondary aspect of our Christian experience.” (Pope Francis, Laudato Si’)
Some key values:
- EQUITY: All life is sacred and deserves its inherent dignity to be cultivated and respected.
- STEWARDSHIP: Per scripture, humanity has a special responsibility to care for Creation.
- SUSTAINABILITY: Human flourishing is bound up in the flourishing of Creation.
- ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE: The Vincentian call to care for the poor requires a commitment to protect vulnerable ecosystems and the vulnerable human populations, disproportionately black and brown, who also depend on them.
“We have all been called by God to work on a masterpiece.” (St Vincent de Paul)
There are several ways to get involved with this ministry:
- Come to our meetings, held monthly on the 3rd Sunday at noon. Check out our meeting-minutes archive.
- Follow us on Instagram @SVDP_CreationCare.
- Email SVDPCreationCare@Gmail.com to be added to our email list to be kept up to date on upcoming events and tips.
- Fill out this Google Form, Social Media Posts Suggestions, to share your ideas and practices for being a steward of Creation.
Catholic Organizations and Movements
Prayers and Devotions
- Psalms 8:3-9, 19:1-3, 33:6-9, 136:4-9
- Care of Creation Rosary, Catholic Agency for Overseas Development
- Canticle of Creation, St. Francis of Assisi
Resources and Documents